|Me & Cat in high school|
I couldn't be there because I was getting ready to leave for London. So I did the next best thing: I sent cookies!!!
These cookies are really, really good. I'm not big into cut out and decorate cookies but these are top-notch.
|BC's caps are boring black, so I used their school colors instead|
Vanilla-Almond Sugar Cookies
Courtesy of Bake at 350
All-purpose flour- 3 c
Baking powder- 2 tsp
Sugar- 1 c
Salted butter- 1 c (2 sticks, cold and cut into chunks)
Pure vanilla extract- 3/4 tsp
Pure almond extract- 1/2 tsp
1. Combine flour and baking powder in a medium bowl, and set aside.
2. Cream sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, vanilla and almond and beat.
3. Gradually add flour mix and beat until just combined. Knead dough together as you scoop it out of the bowl.
4. Roll dough on a floured surface and cut into shapes. Place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
Bridget's Royal Icing
Meringue powder- 4 tbsp
Water- scant 1/2 c (a little less than full)
Powdered sugar- 4 c (1 lb)
Light corn syrup- 1/2-1 tsp (to make it shiny)
Clear extract- 1/2-1 tsp (I used almond and it was delicious!)
1. Combine meringue powder and water in bowl of a stand mixer. Beat with the paddle attachment until combined and foamy.
2. Sift in powdered sugar and beat on low to combine. (Yes, you really do have to sift this time. Use a sieve if you don't want to mess with a super irritating sifter.)
3. Add light corn syrup and extract. Beat on medium high/high for ~5 minutes just until stiff peaks form. (Yes, you really do have to beat for 5 minutes.)
For detailed, illustrated instructions, check out Bridget's page: Royal Icing 102
|Europe is in for a serious 1-2 punch. Take cover!!! :D|