|Isn't that a cute little prop? I got it when I went antiquing last month :)|
Courtesy of Casa Veneracion
Yield: 1 dozen regular-sized or 2 dozen mini
Fuji apples- 2
Flour- 1 1/2 c
Sugar- 1/2 c
Baking powder- 1 3/4 tsp
Salt- 1/2 tsp
Ground nutmeg- 1 tsp
Cold butter- 1/3 c, cut into small pieces
Milk- 1/4 c
1. Peel and roughly chop the apples.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
3. Add the butter to the flour mixture, and rub the butter against the flour until the mix resembles coarse crumbs.
4. In a small bowl, whisk egg. Pour in the milk and stir lightly. Add chopped apples and stir.
5. Pour apple mixture to the flour mix. Stir (using your hands is fine) until just blended. Do not overmix! Batter will be stiff.
6. Form batter into loose balls and place in the holes of a greased & floured muffin pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.
Topping (make while domuffins are baking)
Butter- 1/4 c, melted
Sugar- 1/3 c
Cinnamon powder- 1 tsp
Mix together. When the domuffins are still warm, dip tops into butter, then roll in cinnamon sugar mix. Serve warm!