|Taken at my parents' house, their kitchen windowsill is perfect!|
|Even yummier with mint chocolate chip ice cream!|
This will be a short post, I've got a huuuge to-do list before I leave for London in... 11 DAYS! Yeee!
Chewy Fudgy Brownies
Courtesy of Smitten Kitchen
Yield: ~9 brownies, depending on how you cut 'em (I think little brownies are dumb, so I cut 'em big)
Unsalted butter- 10 tbsp (1 stick + 2 tbsp)
Sugar- 1 1/4 c
Unsweetened cocoa powder- 3/4 c + 2 tbsp (Dutch process or Natural is fine)
Salt- 1/4 tsp
Vanilla extract- 1/2 tsp
Large eggs- 2, cold
Flour- 1/2 c
*optional* Walnuts or pecans- 2/3 c (I HATE nuts in my sweets, but to each his own)
1. Combine butter, sugar, cocoa and salt in a medium heatproof bowl. Set over a small saucepan of barely simmering water. Stir occasionally until butter is melted and the mixture is smooth and hot.
3. Remove bowl from the skillet, and let cool for ~5 minutes until warm but not hot. Note: It will look kinda gritty at this point, don't panic!
4. Stir in vanilla with a spoon or spatula. Add eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each addition. At this point it should look well-blended, shiny and thick.
5. Stir in flour until completely blended, then stir vigorously ~40 strokes. Stir in nuts if using.
6. Prep an 8x8" square pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil so it overhangs on two opposite sides. Spread batter evenly in pan and bake at 325 degrees F for ~20 minutes. The tester should come out moist but not drenched.
7. Stick pan in fridge for ~15 minutes (this makes cutting & serving easier). Cut brownies in the desired size. Serve with milk or a scoop of ice cream!