So, here's the thing: I hate carrots.
I'm also allergic to them (raw), but even before that weird allergy sprang up, I hated them anyway.
Maybe it was the bad early life experience I had with them.....
The story goes that when I was a year old, my parents and I were at a party and they were chatting with a doctor, who saw me and said "oh, she loves carrots, doesn't she?" My parents said yes and asked how he knew. His response? "well, her skin is a little orange."
My mother was understandably angry, and I'm pretty sure she told him off. I don't remember the first time they told me the story, but I was a little wary of carrots after that point. Also, they made my throat itchy and my mouth feel weird and my chest got tight (eventually we realized this was an allergy).
I've always avoided carrot cake at all costs, but then my colleagues asked me to make it. So I made cupcakes. Guess what? Incredible. You can't even taste the carrots, which is astonishing, because there are three cups!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Yield: ~2 dozen
The Cupcakes (courtesy of Pinch of Yum)
Flour- 2 c, sifted
Sugar- 2 c
Cinnamon- 2 tsp
Baking soda- 2 tsp
Salt- 1/4 tsp
Carrots- 3 c (~7 large carrots)
Vegetable oil- 1 1/3 c
1. Whisk flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl.
2. Stir in the vegetable oil and carrots. Add eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly.
3. Fill cupcake liners ~3/4 full and bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting (courtesy of The Comfort of Cooking)
Cream cheese- 12 oz
Unsalted butter- 7 1/2 tbsp, room temp
Vanilla extract- 1 tbsp
Powdered sugar- 3 3/4 c, sifted
1. Beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed until combined and smooth, ~2-3 minutes. Add vanilla extract and beat 30 seconds.
2. Gradually add the powdered sugar until totally incorporated. Increase the speed and beat until smooth. If the frosting is runny, refrigerate for 30min-1 hour.
I suggest/insist you refrigerate these cupcakes and eat them cold- it takes them to the next level!