I also added some yummy frosting and sprinkles, to make them into brownie cakelets for all the birthday girls in our study abroad group. We had three birthdays in the last week, plus one more tomorrow :)
Here's the Chewy Fudgy Brownies recipe with some modifications:
Chewy Fudgy Brownies 2.0
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Yield: ~12 medium-small sized brownies
Unsalted butter- 10 tbsp (1 stick + 2 tbsp)
Sugar- 1 1/4 c
Unsweetened cocoa powder- 1/4 c + 2 tbsp
Cadbury drinking chocolate- 1/2 c
Salt- 1/4 tsp
Vanilla extract- 1/2 tsp
Large eggs- 2, cold
Flour- 1/2 c
1. Combine butter, sugar, cocoa, drinking chocolate and salt in a medium heatproof bowl. Set over a small saucepan of barely simmering water. Stir occasionally until butter is melted and the mixture is smooth and hot.
3. Remove bowl from the skillet, and let cool for ~5 minutes until warm but not hot. Note: It will look kinda gritty at this point, don't panic!
4. Stir in vanilla with a spoon or spatula. Add eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each addition. At this point it should look well-blended, shiny and thick.
5. Stir in flour until completely blended, then stir vigorously ~40 strokes. Stir in nuts if using.
6. Prep an 8x8" square pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil so it overhangs on two opposite sides. Spread batter evenly in pan and bake at 325 degrees F for ~20 minutes. The tester should come out moist but not drenched.
7. Stick pan in fridge for ~15 minutes (this makes cutting & serving easier). Cut brownies in the desired size. Serve with milk or a scoop of ice cream!
Unsalted butter- 1/2 c
Powdered sugar- 2 c
Vanilla extract- 1/4 tsp
Cadbury drinking chocolate- 1/4-1/2 c (depending on taste)
Mix all ingredients together with a beater on medium speed.
As a bonus, here are some pictures from our trip to Edinburgh :) We went to a nice Italian restaurant and I loved the pasta and its presentation.