Zully is my best friend's godmother, and as soon as she got engaged, she asked me to make my sour cream cake for the wedding :)
There were some bumps in the road, but the cakes came out nicely. I made two of the tiered cakes, plus 2 dozen vanilla cupcakes.
Official wedding pictures to come :)
Sour Cream Cake
Courtesy of The Purple Sage Cookbook
Yield: 20 servings
Butter- 1 c, softened
Sugar- 3 c
Eggs- 6, divided
Flour- 3 c
Baking soda- 1/4 tsp
Sour cream- 1 c
Almond extract- 2 tbsp
Vanilla- 1 tsp
1. In bowl of standing mixer, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
3. Add egg yolks, one at a time. Beat well after each addition.
4. Sift flour three times into a medium sized bowl. Mix baking soda into sour cream.
5. Alternate adding flour and sour cream mixture to the butter & sugar.
6. Add almond extract and vanilla. Fold egg whites into batter.
7. Pour batter into a greased and floured bundt pan. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
I used Classic Vanilla Buttercream, substituted almond for vanilla extract.