I made this cake for a classmate's birthday, and didn't get a bite in before his hallmates apparently scarfed it down (haha!). So unfortunately, I can't personally vouch for the overall taste of this cake (other than the little scraps I got to sample when I was trimming some parts), but from the little pieces I tasted, and from the reviews of the guys, it was pretty good!
I'm going to try to adapt that INSANE Vanilla Cupcake recipe into a cake recipe over Thanksgiving Break (we'll see how that goes..) but for now, I'll post this. It sure looks pretty!
Fluffy Vanilla Cake
Courtesy of Sweetapolita
Large egg whites- 5, room temp
Whole milk- 3/4 c, room temp, divided (1/4 + 1/2)
Pure vanilla extract- 2 1/4 tsp
Cake flour- 2 1/2 c
Sugar- 1 3/4 c
Baking powder- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
Salt- 3/4 tsp
Unsalted butter- 12 tbsp (1 1/2 sticks), room temp
1. In a medium sized bowl, stir egg whites, 1/4 c of milk, vanilla extract. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer (paddle attachment), combine cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt on low speed ("stir" is what I used), 30 seconds.
3. Add butter and remaining 1/2 c of milk, mix on low speed until just moistened, then increase to medium speed and mix for 90 seconds.
4. Scrape down sides of the bowl, add egg mixture in 3 batches, beating on medium speed for 20 seconds after each.
5. Divide into two 8 or 9 inch cake pans, bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes. Check at 20 minutes, and if the cake tester doesn't come out clean, put back in oven for 2 minute intervals before you think it's ready.
Courtesy of How Sweet It Is
Butter- 1 c, softened
Powdered sugar- 4 c
Vanilla extract- 1 tbsp
Milk- 2 tbsp
1. Cream butter until smooth.
2. Add 2 c powdered sugar, then add the milk (this prevents the powdered sugar from flying everywhere!). After mixing well, add remaining sugar.
3. Add vanilla extract, and beat well.