|Me, Cat & Nat|
Today, it's Mojito Cupcakes.
I made the management decision that Mojito Cupcakes will help us get through tomorrow.
I make really good management decisions.
Mojito Cupcakes with Lime Curd Filling
Adapted from Une Gamine dans la Cuisine
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Milk- 1 c (whole is fine)
Fresh mint- 1/2 c, bruised and coarsely chopped, plus 1/4 c for garnish
Limes- 2: zest and 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
Sugar- 3/4 c
Canola oil- 1/3 c
Dark rum- 1 tbsp
Flour- 1 1/4 c
Cornstarch- 2 tbsp
Baking powder- 3/4 tsp
Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
Salt- 1/2 tsp
Green food coloring, optional
1. In a small saucepan, combine milk and chopped mint. Heat to just a gentle simmer, then remove from heat and cover. Let mint steep in warm milk for ~15 minutes.
2. Press milk through a mesh sieve held over a small bowl. Discard mint, and set milk aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
3. Combine lime zest and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Use your fingers to rub zest against sugar until it becomes moist and aromatic. Set aside.
4. Add lime juice to cooled milk, and whisk vigorously until foamy.
5. Add foamy milk mix, canola oil and rum to lime-infused sugar. Beat on medium-high speed using a paddle attachment until well-combined.
6. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix on low speed until just combined, do not overmix. Add a drop or two of green food coloring, if you'd like, and stir until combined.
7. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake at 350 degrees F for ~20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched and the tester comes out clean. Cool completely.
Mojito Frosting (Rum + Lime)
Cream cheese- 8 oz, softened to room temp
Unsalted butter- 1/2 c (1 stick), room temp
Pinch of salt
Dark rum- 1 tbsp
Lime juice- 1 tbsp
Powdered sugar- 2-4 c (depending on desired consistency)
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed until creamy.
2. Add salt, rum and lime juice and beat until incorporated.
3. Slowly add powdered sugar, 1 c at a time, until it reaches desired consistency.
Lime Curd (allrecipes.com)- Strawberry-Lime Cider Cupcakes original post
Sugar- 1 c
Butter- 1/4 c (1/2 stick)
Fresh lime juice- 3/4 c
Lime zest- 1 tbsp
1. Whisk eggs in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Combine sugar, butter, lime juice and lime zest in top of a double boil over medium-high heat. Stir until butter melts.
3. Spoon 2 tbsp of heated sugar mix into small bowl with eggs and stir to combine. Pour egg mixture into top of double boiler.
4. Turn heat down to medium and stir frequently for 10-15 minutes until mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Pour into heatproof bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
Using a cupcake corer (or a knife), remove the middles of the cupcakes (save the tops!). Spoon lime curd into the middle, then replace the top. Pipe frosting on, and rest a small mint sprig on top.
|Love you, Nat :)|