I'm also really not all that into s'mores. I was in Girl Scouts for about .2 seconds, so it's not even like I got sick of them. Not sure what it is, maybe because they're related to camping? Maybe it's the weird difference in textures?
But what I am sure of is that these cupcakes are incredible. The batter was runny and the marshmallow filling was a little chunky, but put together... AMAZING. The best part is, you don't have to get all dirty and gross to enjoy them!
Adapted from Sweetapolita
Yield: 2 dozen cupcakes + one 6" three layer cake
Flour- 1 3/4 c
Sugar- 2 c
Dark cocoa powder- 3/4 c
Baking soda- 2 tsp
Baking powder- 1 tsp
Salt- 1 tsp
Strong black coffee- 1 c (hot)
Buttermilk- 1 c (room temp)
Canola oil- 1/2 c
Vanilla extract- 1 tbsp
1. Sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Beat on low to combine.
2. Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, canola oil and vanilla, and beat for 2 minutes.
3. Pour batter into lined cupcake pans until 1/2 full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-17 minutes or until the tester comes out clean.
Toasted Marshmallow Filling
Large marshmallows- 8 OR 1/2 bag of baby marshmallows
Powdered sugar- 1/2 c
Butter- 1/2 c, room temp
Vanilla extract- 1/2 tsp
Marshmallow fluff- 4 oz
Salt- a pinch
**For a boozy spin, add 1 tbsp Pinnacle Whipped Vodka (and an extra 1/4 c powdered sugar)**
1. Beat butter and confectioner's sugar in bowl of an electric mixer (paddle attachment) until blended. Add vanilla and beat for 3 minutes.
2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (a Silpat or a coat of Baker's Joy works too), then spread with marshmallows. Place on lower rack of oven and set to broil. Keep a very close eye on the marshmallows, and remove when nice and brown.
3. IMMEDIATELY scoop the browned marshmallows into electric mixer bowl. Add marshmallow fluff and salt, and beat for 2 minutes. If you wait too long to add the marshmallows, your filling will be chunky! Add vodka if desired and beat.
Malted Belgian Chocolate Frosting
Butter- 1 c, room temp
Confectioner's sugar- 1 c
Vanilla extract- 1 1/2 tsp
Malted milk powder (or Ovaltine mix)- 1/3 c
Bittersweet chocolate- 4 oz, chopped and melted
Heavy whipping cream- 1/4 c
1. Beat butter and confectioner's sugar in a large bowl for 1 minute.
2. Add vanilla and malted milk powder and beat on low speed until combined.
3. Add melted chocolate and beat to combine.
4. Add whipping cream and beat on medium-high speed for another minute.
5. Switch to whisk attachment, and whip on high for 2 minutes (to make it nice and fluffy).
Use a cupcake corer to remove the centers of the cupcakes once they have cooled. Try to resist eating the scraps, you'll need them in a minute :) Spoon toasted marshmallow filling, then top with the centers/remnants/scraps. Pipe frosting on, then top with chocolate sprinkles or a baby marshmallow. Serve with a glass of milk!
A pretty great way to enjoy s'mores without camping, don'tcha think?